High Atlas Explorer
Experience the magnificent geography Morocco can offer, as well as experiencing the true warmth of its people. Travel from the former imperial city of Marrakech to the spectacular High Atlas Mountains where you can choose from a range of activities or fieldwork options.
Departures: Year round | Duration: 5 days
Day 1 – UK – Marrakech
- Fly from the UK to Marrakech and meet your guide. Depending on your flight time there may be some time to take in the sights and sounds of the largest souk in the country and the bustling city square, Djemaa el Fnaa. Overnight and dinner in Marrakech.
Day 2 – Marrakech
- Explore this fascinating city in horse-drawn calèches. Your guide will show you the famous Djemaa el Fnaa, a UNESCO World Heritage site and the beating heart of Marrakech’s old quarter. ]
- Visit Berber souks and visit a traditional Berber pharmacy to learn more about natural treatments and remedies created from plants and minerals.
- In the afternoon there will be some free time for shopping and sightseeing – try your haggling skills in the souk or visit the Saadian Tombs, Bahia Palace and Koutoubia Minaret.
Day 3 – Marrakech – High Atlas
- Leaving Marrakech, you’ll travel east into the High Atlas mountains. Plate tectonics, fold mountain formations, volcanic rocks and tilted and folded uplifting strata are all clearly visible in this rugged landscape. As you journey through the mountains look out for evidence of water irrigation techniques and terracing as people have learnt to adapt to the difficult terrain.
- You’ll spend two days in the mountains. Choose from a wide and varied range of fieldwork topics including river processes, rural settlements, mountain landforms, desertification and water management and irrigation. Alternatively, you might also choose to do some trekking to explore the mountains further and visit a local Berber village, or involve yourself in some community work.
Day 4 – High Atlas
- Enjoy a second day in the mountains undertaking fieldwork, community work or a range of activities.
Day 5 – Marrakech – UK
- After breakfast here might be time for some sight-seeing in Marrakech, not to mention some last minute souvenir haggling in the souk, before your return transfer to the airport.