North East Iceland Itinerary
You might think you know Iceland but think again. There are boundless treasures to be discovered in the North East and from April 2019 you can explore them too.
We offer an exclusive direct flight from the UK to Egilsstadir, North East Iceland – available from 6th to 10th April 2019.
Your dedicated Travel Specialist will be able to provide more information about optional activities to create a trip tailored to your group’s needs. Discover our sample itinerary below and see more of the highlights of North and East Iceland for more inspiration.
We can work with you to create a trip directly to the North of the island or combine a trip to the South with these destinations in the North. Ask your travel specialist for more details. We are offering a special charter flight from London to Egilsstadir in April 2019.
- Price from £965 per person, full board, 40 students and 4 staff members, 5 days/ 4 nights
- This itinerary is exclusive to Discover the World Education in the UK.
- Tectonic processes, landforms & hazards
- Weather processes & hazards
- Climate change
- Coastal processes, landforms & management
- Glacial processes, landforms & management
- Geological processes & landforms
- Economic change
- Food resources
- Water resources
- Energy resources
- Tjornes Peninsula
- Godafoss waterfall
Day 1 Egilsstadir, Hengifoss, Fjords and Hydroelectric Power
- Arrive in Eglisstadir in the East of Iceland
- Witness Hengifoss, Iceland’s third tallest waterfall, which flows into a strata patterned with red and black stripes, created by the layers of ash and basalt built over time.
- Visit the town of Seydisfjordur (pictured above) that sits in the innermost point of the fjord of the same name
- In the municipality of Fljotsdalsherad, students will discover the importance of harnessing power from natural resources.
Day 2 Dettifoss, Namaskard and Myvatn Nature Baths
- Begin the day by exploring the farm settlement of Modrudalur
- Hear the roar of Dettifoss (pictured above) as it thunders down at an astonishing 193m³/s cutting a dramatic 20km long gorge into the landscape.
- Explore the volcanic activity of Namaskard where hot springs, fumaroles and mud pools boil.
- End the day by relaxing in the Nature Baths, where the water is a constant temperature of 38-40°C.
Day 3 Lake Myvatn and Dimmuborgir
- Tour the centrepience of the area, Lake Myvatn (pictured above), where you will witness bizarre landforms and impressive birdlife.
- Hike across Dimmuborgir, an unusually shaped lava field composed of various volcanic caves and rock formations.
Day 4 Gljufrastofa – Asbyrgi – tour of Husavik – Godafoss waterfall
- Explore Tjornes Peninsula, one of Iceland’s most remarkable geological locations, known for its fossil layers formed at the end of the Tertiary period.
- Near to Tjornes you will discover Asbyrgi, a beautiful canyon made up of honeycombed basalt rocks.
- Go whale watching in the quaint northern coastal town of Husavik
- Experience the ‘waterfall of the gods’, Godafoss said to be one of the most beautiful in Iceland.
Day 5 Akureyri to Egilsstadir
- Enjoy Iceland’s second city, located on the shore of Eyjafjordur, a very scenic fjord, surrounded by high mountains.
Start your North and East Iceland adventure today by getting in touch with our friendly team.