Yangtze and Chengdu Itinerary
This six day itinerary can be combined with trips to any of our other Chinese destinations; Shanghai, Hong Kong, Xi’an, orBeijing, to form trips from 7-11+ days
Our China combination recommendation:
Shanghai > Yangtze > Chengdu
Departure time: Year round | Currency: Renminbi
- Weather processes & hazards
- Climate change
- Water & river processes, landforms & management
- Geological processes & landforms
- Urban change & growth
- Development & inequality
- Economic change
- Global systems & global governance
- Food resources
- Water resources
- Energy resources
- Xiling Gorge
- Three Gorges Dam
- Wu Gorge
- Qutang Gorge
- White Emperor City
Day 1 – Join your cruise ship on the Yangtze
- On arrival in Yichang, transfer to the cruise ship and check in to your cabins.
Day 2 – Three Gorges Dam – Visit the Tribes of the Three Gorges
- Ride the river as it carves through the Xiling Gorge, the first of Three Gorges.
- Arrive at the quintessential Geography case study; the mighty Three Gorges Dam, the world’s largest hydropower dam.
- Meet the tribes of the Three Gorges villages; mountain, brook-side and water side villages, as they go about their traditional days.
- In the evening, watch as the ship rises through the ship-locks of the Three Gorges Dam and enjoy on board entertainment.
Day 3 – Wu Gorge – Qutang Gorge – White Emperor City
- Enjoy a morning’s sightseeing in Wu Gorge and Qutang Gorges, two of the Three Gorges. Wu is known for its tranquil forest-covered mountains, whilst Qutang, the shortest and narrowest of the three, is also the most dramatic with sheer precipices rising from the 500 foot wide river.
- Your tour includes a sampan trip (flat bottomed Chinese boat) into the narrow tributaries of the Daning River to see the gorges up close.
- In the afternoon, wander in the shadows of White Emperor City, a hill-top temple palace complex dating back almost 2,000 years.
Day 4 – Red Pagoda – Ghost City of Fengdu – Overnight Cruise
- Climb the multi-storeyed Red Pagoda – it’s said that the higher you climb, the more likely it is that your dreams will come true.
- After lunch, explore the Ghost City of Fengdu, where ancient temples sit alongside colourful and curious caricatures in a mountaintop park.
Day 5 – Chongqing City Tour – Ciqicou Old Living Area – High Speed Train to Chengdu
- Disembark the cruise ship and take a morning tour of Chongqing.
- Stock up on souvenirs at Ciqicou old living area.
- After lunch, transfer to your high-speed train to Chengdu.
- In the evening, you might choose to enjoy a welcome dumpling banquet.
Day 6 – Chengdu Panda Base – Duijiangyan Irrigation Project
- Visit the Chengdu Panda Base to learn about the research and conservation projects. The base helps protect pandas which are not only one of the world’s rarest animals but are emblematic of china’s wildlife.
- After lunch visit the Dujiangyan Irrigation Project – the oldest dam-less irrigation system in the world.
See more of China on your trip by combining this itinerary with one from our other China centres:
- Hong Kong