Passports And Visa Advice
As with all travel, passengers need to have the correct documentation to enter and leave other countries. For teachers, particularly those in international schools this can add a layer of complexity as the type of documentation required may differ from student to student and from destination to destination.
Collect copies of passports
All passengers require a valid passport to travel overseas. Some airlines require the following details: date of birth, passport number, nationality, country of issue and expiry date.
We recommend requesting a photocopy of the information page of each group member’s passport when you collect first deposits. That way you will have the time to check them personally to ensure that the required information is correct (and that passports will be valid at the time of travel).
This should also help you identify any students that are likely to require other documentation or visas to enter the country you are visiting. These must be organised before you depart.
Dual Passport Holders
Where a student or teacher holds two passports, one which allows entry to the departure country and the other allows for entry to the destination, a visa may not be required.
For example, a US citizen travelling to Italy who holds both passports would use their passports as follows:
- Check-in: Italian (or other EU) passport to prove they are entitled to enter Italy
- Passport control on departure from USA: USA passport to prove they have been entitled to have been in USA
- Passport control on arrival in Italy: Italian/ EU passport to prove they are entitled to enter Italy.
- Check-in: USA passport to prove they are entitled to enter USA
- Passport control on departure from Italy: Italian/ EU passport to prove they have been entitled to have been in Italy
- Passport control on arrival in USA: USA passport to prove they are entitled to enter USA
To book the flights we will need the information of the passport which allows entry to the destination.
In the event you are required to transit via another country to reach your destination, you may require additional visas. The lead teacher of your group will need to check and organise these prior to departure.