The benefits of overseas residential field trips are vast; such trips are becoming increasingly recognised as an important, irreplaceable part of understanding your subject in the real world, not to mention being an excellent opportunity for team building and personal development. Yet it is important trips are well managed and you travel with a tour operator that takes safety very seriously, not only for your group’s wellbeing and safety but also for your peace of mind.
On a Discover the World Education trip, health and safety is a top priority. To that end, we have a full and comprehensive Safety Management System. We are assured members of the School Travel Forum, a professional trade association which upholds best in class health and safety processes within its membership. For more information, please visit the School Travel Forum website >
We have also been awarded the Quality Badge by Learning Outside the Classroom. This means we have already been pre-approved by the Outdoor Education Advisers’ Panel in recognition for our safety standards as well as planning and provision of educational tours to meet schools’ academic or pastoral needs. The UK Government Department for Education recommends booking residential tours with a Quality Badge holder.
Safety Management System
- Discover the World Education promotes a ‘health and safety culture’ throughout the company.
- The accommodation, excursions and transport offered to your group all have the necessary insurance and licences, and we only use suppliers who have passed the necessary audits.
- For each tour, you will be supplied with detailed health and safety guidance. These documents are regularly reviewed and updated and will assist greatly with your trip planning and risk assessments.
- Teacher Inspections trips are recommended before your group visit and can be a LA requirement. Free or discounted inspection trips are available to you if you are planning a group trip with Discover the World Education.
- Read our helpful tips to assist you with your trip planning and safety management.
- In addition to working closely with you throughout the planning of your trip, we will provide 24 hour support to your group whilst you are away, giving complete peace of mind.
Discover the World Education acknowledges the duty of care to safeguard and promote the welfare of children. Our safeguarding policy recognises that the welfare and interests of children are paramount in all circumstances. It aims to ensure that regardless of age, gender, religion or beliefs, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation or socio-economic background, all children have a positive and enjoyable experience on our school trips. We aim to provide a safe and child centred environment where students are protected from abuse whilst participating in our school trips.
For further details, see our full Safeguarding Policy
The Learning Outside the Classroom Quality Badge
The LOtC Quality Badge is a nationally recognised award. As a Quality Badge Holder, Discover the World Education maintains robust standards and is externally audited to ensure the required processes are in place. The Quality Badge tells you that Discover the World Education offers a high quality educational experience, meets learning needs, offers appropriate activities and manages risk effectively. This helps teachers to organise trips through reducing paperwork and red tape. The LOtC Quality Badge is endorsed by the Outdoor Education Advisors’ Panel and the UK Government’s Department for Education advises that schools using an external provider for their educational visits choose a Quality Badge holder. Discover the World Education’s Quality Badge status means we are automatically recognised on school trip planning platforms such as Evolve.
The School Travel Forum
This is a not-for-profit organisation founded in 2002 to promote and safeguard standards in educational travel.
Choosing an School Travel Forum assured member ensures teachers, school and colleges are meeting the requirements of Department for Education and Scottish Executive guidelines. As an assured member of the STF, Discover the World Education adheres to a rigorous code of practice and safety management standards and is externally verified each year by suitably qualified independent health and safety professionals to ensure continuing compliance.
For more information, please visit the School Travel Forum website >