Travel advice for your trip to Finland
Travelling to Finland in 2021
Finland is open for fully vaccinated travellers from the UK without the need to quarantine on arrival. It was also added to the UK Government’s list of ‘green’ countries on 30th August.
Read on for further details of the requirements for visiting.
We are with you every step of the way
We've created this detailed travel guide for Finland, which is frequently updated, to help you in the planning stage.
Our team will help you navigate the requirements from clarifying entry rules to talking you through the testkit websites and we’ll pay for 50% of your testing requirements.
Our Flexibility Promise has been designed to provide a cushion around uncertainty giving you the reassurance to book.
What is the procedure for travelling to Finland?
You’ll need to adhere to rules set by both the UK and Finnish governments.
Before departing the UK
- You need to pre-order your return to England Covid-19 test so that you can take this whilst in Finland as it needs to be done within the 3 days before you return to England. And you will also need to pre-order your PCR test to take on Day 2 of your return to England. For full details read below ‘What are the requirements on return to the UK from Finland?’
- If you have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19 you will need to demonstrate this status on arrival in Finland via the NHS COVID Pass.
There are two ways to access the NHS COVID Pass:
- If you have a smart phone or tablet download the NHS patient App from the App Store or Google Play – please note this is NOT the NHS Covid-19 App. It is important to download this as soon as you book your holiday as it can take a while to register. Once the app is registered check that your vaccination status is fully up to date.
- If you do not have access to a smartphone or tablet you can get a digital version from the NHS website where you can download a PDF or have it sent to you in an e-mail to print. This printed paper version of your NHS COVID Pass must contain a QR code to be accepted in Finland.
- It is recommended you log in to the Finentry Web Service before you travel.
Upon arrival in Finland
- Fully-vaccinated travellers from the UK can enter Finland without having to quarantine or test on arrival with verifiable documentation in the form of the NHS COVID Pass. You are regarded as fully vaccinated in Finland if at least 14 days have passed since your second dose.
- Accepted vaccines include Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Janssen/Johnson & Johnson
- Children 15 and under do not require a vaccination certificate or testing as long as travelling with their vaccinated parents or guardians.
- Leisure travel to Finland from the UK is still not permitted for those who have not been fully vaccinated.
What are the requirements on return to the UK from Finland?
As Finland is on the UK Government list of ‘Green’ countries, you do not need to self-isolate on your return to England.
- You will need to take a pre-departure test. This can be a lateral-flow test but needs to meet performance standards for sensitivity, specificity and viral load as specified by Gov.uk. You cannot use one of the NHS lateral-flow tests so you should pre-order this test from one of the government approved UK test providers to take with you to Finland. Qured and Collinson are two example test providers. At the time of ordering your test with them you should also book a video consultation for authentication of your test results. Another approved test provider is Medicspot. You do not need to book a video appointment with them, you just need to send them a photograph of your test results and they will send you a same-day doctor-signed-certificate. These test costs between £39 & £45. As a member of AITO we have negotiated a 10% discount with Qured. Enter the promo code: AITO10 if purchasing your test from Qured. Discover the World will cover 50% (£23) of the cost of the pre-departure test for our clients. This will be in the form of a discount on your holiday. This test will need to be taken within the 3 days before you arrive back in England. Please note that this is just one of many suppliers of antigen tests. It is your choice and your responsibility which supplier you choose to use, but we would advise that you only use a test provider that is on the Gov.uk approved list.
- You need to take a PCR test after you arrive in England on day two. You’ll need to book this before you travel. When you make your booking you should receive a test reference number. You will need this number to enter on to the online form that you need to complete before you return to the UK.
- Discover the World will cover 50% (£22) of the cost of this PCR test for our clients.
For full details and to see regional variations for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, visit https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control.
You will also need to fill in an online form to provide your journey and contact details before your return journey. You cannot submit this form until 48 hours before your arrival time in the UK. You will need your PCR test reference number to complete this form.
Where can I obtain a PCR test?
As a member of AITO (Association of Independent Tour Operators) we have negotiated a discount with Randox Health who have agreed the reduced price of £43 (reduction from £48) per PCR for Discover the World clients. You will need to quote AITO43 to claim the discount. Please note that this is just one of many suppliers of PCR tests. It is your choice and your responsibility which supplier you choose to use, but we would advise that you only use a test provider that is on the Gov.uk approved list. Discover the World will cover 50% (£22) of the cost of this PCR test for our clients. This will be in the form of a discount on your holiday.
What do I need to prepare when planning a trip to Finland with the current Covid-19 situation?
Before you travel, you should check the details of your travel insurance carefully to ensure that you are covered for Covid-19 illness should you be unable to travel, and the cover for any medical treatment abroad. Contact your insurer if you are uncertain. You may need to consider a specialist policy. We can recommend a comprehensive travel insurance policy that provides extensive Covid-19 cover for medical, cancellation and curtailment.
Is everything in Finland open?
Yes, though social distancing and hand hygiene are advised. There are some limits on opening hours and customer numbers.
Do I need to wear a face mask in Finland?
Face masks are required whilst using public transport in Finland. It is also advised to wear face coverings in close contact situations where social distancing is not possible. Regional variations may apply.
What if my plans change?
In these unpredictable times our Flexibility Promise means you can book a trip to Finland knowing that should you need to change your plans you can. You can also keep track of the latest advice from the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) via our Travel Updates page.
Further Information and Resource Links
- For the latest public health advice on coronavirus in the UK, visit https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
- For the latest information on coronavirus in Finland visit https://valtioneuvosto.fi/en/information-on-coronavirus
- For important travel advice and tips on travel to your destination, visit https://travelaware.campaign.gov.uk/
- For the latest FCDO advice for Finland, visit https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/finland/entry-requirements
Recommended Holidays for 2021
All holidays are covered by our Flexibility Promise, which includes cancellation 45 days prior to departure for a full refund.