Travel advice for your trip to Sweden
Travelling to Sweden in 2021/22
Sweden is open to fully vaccinated travellers from the UK without the need to quarantine on arrival.
Read on for further details of the requirements for visiting.
We are with you every step of the way
We've created this detailed travel guide for Sweden, which is frequently updated, to help you in the planning stage.
Our team will help you navigate the requirements from clarifying entry rules to talking you through the testkit websites and we’ll pay for 50% of your testing requirements.
Our Flexibility Promise has been designed to provide a cushion around uncertainty giving you the reassurance to book.
What is the procedure for travelling to Sweden?
You’ll need to adhere to rules set by both the UK and Swedish governments.
Before departing the UK
- You will need to pre-order your test kit to take on Day 2 of your return to the UK. From 24 October 2021, lateral flow tests can be used as an alternative to PCR tests for fully vaccinated travellers returning to England and Wales. See section below ‘Where can I obtain test kits?’
- If you have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19 you will need to present a valid certificate issued in the UK on arrival in Sweden via the NHS COVID Pass.
There are two ways to access the NHS COVID Pass:
- If you have a smart phone or tablet download the NHS patient App from the App Store or Google Play – please note this is NOT the NHS Covid-19 App. It is important to download this as soon as you book your holiday as it can take a while to register. Once the app is registered check that your vaccination status is fully up to date.
- If you do not have access to a smartphone or tablet you can get a digital version from the NHS website where you can download a PDF or have it sent to you in an e-mail to print. This printed paper version of your NHS COVID Pass should contain a QR code.
- If you live in Scotland you can use the NHS Scotland Vaccine Status App or download a paper version.
Upon arrival in Sweden
- Fully-vaccinated travellers from the UK can enter Sweden without having to quarantine or test on arrival with a valid certificate issued in the UK. You are regarded as fully vaccinated in Sweden if at least 14 days have passed since your second dose.
- Children under 18 are able to enter Sweden without providing a test as long as they are travelling with a fully-vaccinated adult.
- Leisure travel to Sweden from the UK is still not permitted for those who have not been fully vaccinated.
What are the requirements on return to the UK from Sweden?
From 4 October 2021
- You do not need to take a pre-departure test for returning to the UK.
- You need to take a test after you arrive in the UK on day two. From the 24 October, you can choose to take either a lateral flow test, which is cheaper, or a PCR test. You’ll need to book this before you travel. When you make your booking you should receive a test reference number. You will need this number to enter on to the online form that you need to complete before you return to the UK. Please note, a PCR test is required for arrival to Scotland until 31 October.
- Discover the World will cover 50% (up to a maximum of £14.50) of the cost of this lateral flow test for our clients.
- You will also need to fill in an online form to provide your journey and contact details before your return journey. You cannot submit this form until 48 hours before your arrival time in the UK. You will need your test reference number to complete this form.
For full details and to see regional variations for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, visit https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control.
Where can I obtain test kits?
Day 2 Tests may now be lateral flow. You must purchase the correct test designed for this purpose i.e. Day 2 tests must include a reference to add to your online passenger locator form.
As a member of AITO (Association of Independent Tour Operators) we have negotiated discounts with Qured and C19 for Discover the World clients.
Day 2 Lateral Flow Tests
- Qured offer a reduced price of £22.50. Quote AITO10
- C19 offer a reduced price of £22.50. Quote AITO10
- Medicspot tests cost £29.00
- DAM Health tests cost £29.00
Please note that this is just one of several suppliers of tests. It is your choice and your responsibility which supplier you choose to use, but we would advise that you only use a test provider that is on the Gov.uk approved list. Discover the World will cover 50% (up to a maximum of £14.50) for our clients. This will be in the form of a discount on your holiday.
What do I need to prepare when planning a trip to Sweden with the current Covid-19 situation?
Before you travel, you should check the details of your travel insurance carefully to ensure that you are covered for Covid-19 illness should you be unable to travel, and the cover for any medical treatment abroad. Contact your insurer if you are uncertain. You may need to consider a specialist policy. We can recommend a comprehensive travel insurance policy that provides extensive Covid-19 cover for medical, cancellation and curtailment.
Is everything in Sweden open?
Yes, though social distancing and hand hygiene are advised.
Do I need to wear a face mask in Sweden?
Most restrictions regarding Covid-19 in Sweden were removed on 29 September, so face masks are not required.
What if my plans change?
In these unpredictable times our Flexibility Promise means you can book a trip to Sweden knowing that should you need to change your plans you can. You can also keep track of the latest advice from the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) via our Travel Updates page.
Further Information and Resource Links
- For the latest public health advice on coronavirus in the UK, visit https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
- For the latest information on coronavirus in Sweden visit https://www.krisinformation.se/en/hazards-and-risks/disasters-and-incidents/2020/official-information-on-the-new-coronavirus
- For important travel advice and tips on travel to your destination, visit https://travelaware.campaign.gov.uk/
- For the latest FCDO advice for Sweden, visit https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/sweden/entry-requirements
Recommended Holidays for 2021/22
Holidays are covered by our Flexibility Promise, which includes cancellation 45 days prior to departure for a full refund.