Free CPD Workshops
Free CPD Workshops
As part of our strategic partnership with the Geographical Association, Discover the World Education are now offering regular free geography CPD to teachers. These workshops can be done virtually.
We are offering multiple types of sessions, including:
- Geographer Toolkit Sessions – build teaching confidence to allow your students to reach their potential inside and beyond the classroom.
- Subject Knowledge Sessions – update your knowledge on topical subjects from the curriculum, engage in debate, hear about recent academic research and refresh your facts.
- Eyjafjallajokull Case Study Sessions – ten years after the Eyjafjallajokull volcano eruption, reflect on how this small volcanic event had such a significant impact both globally and nationally.
If you would like a speaker for an event/network meeting you are running simply complete the form…
Geographer Toolkit CPD Workshops
These CPD workshops will be led by Karen Corfield who has extensive experience in education, including over 20 years as Head of Geography and Pastoral Deputy Head. Karen has worked in a variety of different schools and has experience in teaching across the Key Stages, as well as delivering quality teacher CPD.
Karen is now also an Area Manager and one of our most experienced Icelandic Tour Leaders, at Discover the World Education. Her extensive knowledge and training, puts Karen in an excellent position to deliver highly effective CPD for you and your colleagues.
Sessions will last approximately 1 – 3 hours, with flexible timings, that can be built around your needs.
- Writing like a Geographer – inspire, enthuse & challenge your students to ‘write like a geographer’
- Thinking like a Geographer – encouraging geography students to think independently and critically
- Icelandic Case Studies – Supporting the effective implementation of new and exciting case studies
- Exploring free high quality, award-winning resources to assist in your classroom
- Q&As regarding international field trip opportunities
Subject Knowledge CPD Workshops
The presentations will be delivered by Sarah Rimington, a former Lecturer in Travel and Tourism Management with extensive industry experience. Sarah has over 15 years’ experience in the travel industry, 8 years as Lecturer and Course Leader for travel and tourism and aviation management undergraduate courses, and experience of teaching on BTEC travel and tourism courses.
Sarah is now Area Manager at Discover the World Education and has a particular interest in responsible travel and sustainable tourism management.
Sessions will last approximately an hour with flexible timings that can be tailored to your requirements.
This talk can also be included as part of an existing CPD event.
- Tourism in Rural Iceland: The Role of Perceptions in Sustainable Tourism Management
Drawing on recent research, this session will explore the role of perceptions in tourism management, with a particular focus on tourism in rural Iceland.
Following an overview of the rise of tourism in Iceland in recent years, tourists’ interaction with nature will be explored, along with the challenges this presents for Iceland’s fragile ecosystems.
The concepts of ‘carrying capacity’ and ‘overtourism’, in relation to rural Iceland, will be explored using the ‘Purism Scale’ and ‘Tourism Life Cycle Model’.
Tourists’ perception of a destination, their tolerance for anthropogenic impacts on the landscape, and the importance of spatial-planning in sustainable tourism management will be analysed.
The Katla UNESCO Global Geopark will be introduced as a case study.
- To fly or not to fly – From 20th April 2020, first session will be presented at the 2020 GA Conference
If you have any additional questions about our Free CPD service, or have a suggestion for other geographic or tourism related topics for us to cover, please email email@example.com