Discover the World Education and the Geographical Association have formed a strategic partnership, with the aim of making the benefits of international field studies more accessible to geography students, both inside and outside the classroom.
As part of our ongoing commitment to fulfilling this aim, Discover the World Education have produced a variety of free geography resources.
We are delighted to announce our upcoming free series of virtual geography webinars, as part of our partnership with the Geographical Association. Discover more »
Changing Places: Hveragerdi, Iceland
- Changing Places: Hveragerdi uses amazing aerial footage together with interviews to give the viewer an introduction into the development of Hveragerdi and a consideration of the factors that have shaped the nature of this changing place.
Living in the shadow of Italy’s volcanoes
- Explore tectonic hazards in Bay of Naples, Sicily and the Aeolian Islands.
- Includes interviews with local experts and residents.
Eyjafjallajokull: A Geography Case Study
- Geography case study of the famous 2010 eruption in Iceland.
Solheimajokull: A Geography Case Study
- Explore the changes taking place on one of Iceland's most visited glaciers, Solheimajokull.
Whales of Iceland
- This resource helps to introduce students not just to different whale species but to the concept of endangerment, and the key threats faced by marine life such as ocean pollution, human activity, and climate change.
Turtles of Costa Rica
- This resource introduces students to the sea turtles of Costa Rica and the importance of their habitat, assesses the dangers that they face and encourages students to consider how they can help.
Thinking Skills: Perspectives on Sustainability
- Learn about the effects that the tourism boom has had on the environment, local people and visitors.
Student Guide to Responsible Travel
- This guide is packed full of useful hints and tips to help guide students to make responsible and sustainable choices whilst travelling abroad.
Mount Thorbjörn Volcano Classroom Activities
- A series of classroom activities around the various reports from Iceland regarding potential magma accumulation and an associated risk of volcanic activity.
Do Now Activities – January 2020
- PowerPoint includes 10 'Do Now' starter activities, with a source image and some prompt questions from January 2020!
The Big Geography Quiz 2019
- 10 rounds of topical geography questions including an exclusive round from Kids Against Plastic
Comparing Lava Types
- Teaching resource, activities and videos on lava types in Iceland
Do Now Starter Activities
- Topical questions to kick off your lesson and get your students thinking!
The Big Summer End Of Year Geography Quiz!
- Last chance to test your students knowledge before the summer
Tectonic Hazards Assessment Mats
- 25 minute homework or in class assessment on tectonic hazards
- including an Eyjafjallajökull eruption case study
The Big Geography Quiz Of 2018
- Download our PowerPoint Quizzes
NEW! "Geography Teacher Zone" community
- Bridge the gap between the latest geography research, the news and your classroom
- A1 posters to complement our classroom videos
Iceland and Hawaii: A comparison exercise for your classroom
- Classroom activities: comparing how the physical, social, economic and environmental effects differ in Hawaii and Iceland.
Using literature in the geography classroom: Iceland
- How can geographers support their students to develop literacy skills? Jo Coles provides her advice and a range of classroom activities...
How to Speak 'Volcano'
- Jo Coles discusses the importance of using geographical language in the classroom and provides ideas on how to get your students speaking like geographers.