Costa Rica Itinerary
A school trip to Costa Rica offers students an insight to one the most biologically diverse areas in the world. Home to a tremendous variety of habitats, including volcanoes, mangroves, cloud forests and rainforests, few places on Earth offer as many life-changing educational experiences as Costa Rica.
Costa Rica offers student groups a fantastic blend of adventure and experiential learning. The country’s diverse ecosystems are the perfect environment, bringing the world of science and geography to life. This itinerary focuses on the geographical highlights of northern Costa Rica. With its progressive government and commitment to being the World’s first carbon free nation by 2020, Costa Rica is the World’s leading destination for eco-tourism.
Customise your itinerary to meet the individual needs of your students and your curriculum with Discover the World Education. We encourage you to balance learning with fun; enjoying activities such as white water rafting and ziplining as well as participating in research projects.
Our itineraries are designed to be illustrative, showcasing some of the activities you might see on your trip. The Costa Rica highlights page will give you an overview of potential locations and activities you might like to choose from. When you are ready, our team will be here to help you start creating your tailormade study trip.
Duration: We offer 9 – 12+ day trips
Departures: Year Round | Currency: Costa Rican Colon (₡) or American Dollars ($) are widely accepted
- Natural Hazards
- Rural Environments
- San Jose
- Poas Volcano
- El Nido de Tigre
- The Pacuare River
- Volcano Arenal
- Venedo Caves
- Miravelles Volcano
- Rincon de la Vieja
Day 1 – Travel to Costa Rica
- Fly from the UK to San Jose where your local guide will meet you and accompany you to your accommodation in San Jose.
Day 2 – Poas Volcano
- Walk up to the crater rim or the world’s largest active crater in the world and see the bubbling, sulphuric, green lake at the bottom.
- Witness geysers that can rocket up to 250 meters high.
- Visit OVSICORI, the Poas station of the Volcanology and Seismological Observatory of Costa Rica.
- Study the volcano as an excellent example of the effects of acid rain. The surrounding area is also a habitat for many cloud forest birds.
Day 3 – El Nido de Tigre – The ‘Tiger’s Nest’
- Travel to the Caribbean lowland area and Santa Marta, where you will leave your coach and begin your one-hour hike to your overnight camp.
- Hike to a nearby waterfall and cool off in the plunge pool beneath the falls.
- Dinner and Overnight at El Nido de Tigre tented camp.
Day 4 – The Pacuare River
- Experience grade IV-V white water rapids and travel on inflatable rafts down the river.
- The river is home to densely vegetated gorges full of monkeys, sloths and extraordinary bird life.
- Transfer to Tirimbina, a region famous for its various biological research station situated here because the of the extensive coverage of tropical rainforest.
- Enjoy dinner and overnight in Tirimbina an educational, scientific and ecotourism filled study centre.
Day 5 – Tirimbina
- The centre offers various opportunities to participate in research projects that relate to conservation and rainforest ecosystems. Speak to our team to find out more about our selection of optional activities based on your interests and budget.
Day 6 – Volcano Arenal
- Transfer to the town of La Fortuna at the foot of Volcano Arenal.
- Study lava flows, wind farms, and hydroelectric energy.
- Bathe in geothermally heated hot springs.
- Discover how the Miravalles Volcano Geothermic Plant taps into the areas volcanic activity for electrical power.
In the afternoon, enjoy a guided hike of the volcanic national park.
- Dinner and overnight at La Fortuna Hotel.
Day 7 – Venado Caves
- Enjoy a full day tour to a two-mile limestone cave system filled with stalactites and stalagmites, caverns, rivers, fossils and strange subterranean creatures. With an underground waterfall and river, you may get wet! It’s advised to wear light, quick-drying clothes.
Day 8 – Miravalles Volcano
- Visit the largest developed geothermal field in Costa Rica
- Explore the area around the Miravalles and its neighbouring Volcano Tenorio
- Discover amazing geological activity – hot sulfur springs, steam spewing fishers and bubbling mud pools can be found all around the area
- Visit the Hornillas, a live geologic spa/museum of bubbling water and colourful mudpools.
Day 9 – Rincon de la Vieja
- Make your way through this volcanic region into Tenorio National Park
- Enjoy the trademark turquoise waters of the River Celester.
- Enjoy a hike through the rainforest to reach the Rio Celeste Waterfall to see the aqua-coloured waters below the cascading falls.
Day 10 – Rinco de la Vieja
- Explore the picturesque Rio Negro
- Enjoy a 45-minute horseback ride will take you from your accommodation to the river, where you will collect your river tubes and safety gear for a 2-hour ride along the crystal-clear rapids.
- Head back to San Jose for your final overnight stay.
Day 11 – Departure
Choose from a range of visits on your final morning:
- The Gold Museum in San Jose;
- Irazu National Park, featuring Costa Rica’s highest active volcano;
- The hydroelectric dam at Cachi, one of Costa Rica’s first HEP projects.
Travel to the airport and enjoy an overnight flight back to the UK.