Introducing the Galapagos

Tuesday, 9th July 2019

Destination Specialist

galapagos fernandina with the iguanas hlagerweij

Introducing the Galapagos

Hans Lagerweij provides an introduction to the Galapagos Islands – the perfect destination for nature and wildlife enthusiasts, active travellers and exploring families.

“The Galapagos are an amazing open-air classroom. No wonder that these islands inspired Darwin, and influenced his theory of natural selection in The Origin of Species!”


The Galapagos Islands

The Galapagos are an archipelago of 21 islands in the Pacific Ocean, situated about 560 miles west of Ecuador’s mainland. The islands are of volcanic origin and feature their own unique wildlife. Four islands are inhabited, with a population of 25,000 living on just 3% of the islands’ overall land area. The remaining 97% of the archipelago is protected – forming the Galapagos National Park.

Wildlife galore

The main reason to visit the Galapagos is for its wildlife. A lot of fauna is endemic; animals that only can be found on the Galapagos islands and nowhere else. These include the Galapagos tortoise, Darwin’s finch, Galapagos fur seal, marine iguana, flightless cormorant, Galapagos penguin, lava lizard, Galapagos flamingo and Galapagos hawk. Not endemic to the Galapagos, but no less appealing, are the boobies birds, especially the blue-footed boobies.


galapagos isla lobos blue footed boobies on rock istk

A lack of human intervention with nature in the Galapagos means that most animals don’t have any natural fear of humans, and can be viewed from just a short distance. You can observe their natural behaviour, such as the stunning mating dance of the blue-footed boobies, and everyone can return home with professional-looking wildlife photographs!

The wildlife in the water is just as spectacular. In the clear water it is easy to spot sea turtles, small sharks, sea lions, sting rays and vividly colored fish in large quantities. You don’t have to be an advanced diver exploring the depths of the ocean – just grab a snorkel and jump in!

galapagos snorkelling istk

Volcanic activity

The Galapagos is also interesting from a geographical point of view. Due to the volcanic nature of the islands, you can discover unique landscapes, including some still-active volcanoes. You can even crawl through some old (and cold!) lava tubes.

Another attractive feature of the Galapagos is the weather! Being on the equator, the temperatures are always comfortably warm without getting too hot: average temperatures range from 25°C in the cooler, cloudier ‘garua’ season (June to November) to 30°C in the warmer months (December to May). The warmer months are often slightly preferred for travel; although it can be humid, pleasant sunny periods are interspersed with rain showers and the ocean is warmer and clearer making for excellent snorkelling conditions.


galapagos pahoehoe lava cactus istk

Exploring the islands

A cruise is the best way to explore the islands, sailing around uninhabited islands in search of wildlife encounters and snorkeling sites whilst enjoying excellent meals, fantastic sunsets and the chance to relax and make new friends. Smaller yachts carry around 16-20 passengers and are great for intimate wildlife encounters; larger boats offer more space and facilities on board. Galapagos cruises vary in duration and itineraries but I would recommend a minimum of 5 days cruising, ideally up to 7.


la pinta skiff rides from yacht uncr mv

Different islands offer different attractions so choose your itinerary based on your own interests – for example the island of Genovesa is one of the best for birding, whilst the western islands of Isabela and Fernandina showcase their volcanic origins with wild landscapes and the occasional eruption. Here you will also find the largest colony of marine iguanas and flightless cormorants, and 90% of the Galapagos penguin population!

galapagos penguin at sunset istk

Popular blog posts

Looking Back at Our Favourite Icehotel Suites

We fell under the spell of the Icehotel when it first emerged in 1990 and now, an immense 30 years later – we’re proud to be the hotel’s leading worldwide partner offering an exclusive direct flight from London to Kiruna. We took a look back at some of our favourite Art Suites over the years...
  • Icehotel

Saturday, 10th August 2019

Pam Forrest

Unique Spaces in Stunning Places

Discover a selection of our handpicked unique accommodation in beautiful locations. These excellent properties are perfect for a big celebration such as a birthday or anniversary, or just when you really want to treat yourself!
  • Discover our World

Tuesday, 9th July 2019

Destination Specialist

Top 10 Trips of a Lifetime

From northern lights to safari holidays, we've listed some of our favourite destinations and holidays to spark your imagination. Remember, all of our itineraries can be tailor-made for a trip of YOUR life.

Monday, 21st January 2019

Becky Masih