Canada, Alaska, Iceland & Greenland Travel Specialist
Tel: (0)1737 887 353
Doug’s travel career started by selling cruises to worldwide destinations before joining Discover The World in 2013 where he became part of the Nordic team. Predominately focusing on Iceland, Doug experienced the many varying landscapes and spectacular scenery of the country – his favourite part being the Snaefellsnes Peninsula where he enjoyed visiting the volcanic craters, hot springs, rugged coastlines and the opportunity to spot plenty of Orcas. But Doug’s real passion is wildlife and it wasn’t long before he moved over to our Worldwide team to enjoy some wonderful experiences in Canada and Alaska, the most memorable being encounters with bears and whales. Doug is passionate about Canada and Alaska and his favourite parts of North America are the Great Bear Rainforest for the variety of bear species that thrive here and Gros Morne National Park in Newfoundland for the hiking opportunities at Western Brook Pond and Tablelands, rugged coastlines and welcoming fishing communities as well as the opportunity to see the wandering moose.
Doug's Top Travel Experiences
- Heli hiking in the Rockies gave me a birds eye view of some of the most majestic mountains in the world before being treated to a picnic lunch in a remote location
- The Maligne Canyon Wildlife Tour in the Canadian rockies - there was just so much wildlife in such a short space of time; brown bears, beavers, bald eagles, ospreys, mountain goats, big horned sheep, elk
- Seeing a grizzly bear and it's year-old cub crossing in front of my boat just yards away in the Great Bear Rainforest
- Kayaking in Tutka Bay with porpoises, sea otters and bald eagles keeping me company!
- Getting off the beaten track and relaxing in the Landbrotalaug Hot Pot
- Seeing the northern lights above Qassiarsuk with epic mountains and icebergs providing the back drop
- Snorkelling in the clearest glacier waters at Silfra
- Seeing a massive pod of orcas in Grundarfjordur, Iceland
- Snowmobiling at the Icehotel across the frozen Torne River Witnessing humpback whales bubble net feeding in the Kenai Fjords