Sicily – £655pp
Why visit Sicily during the Easter holidays?
The average temperature for Sicily in spring is 18°C, with around 13 hours of daylight, making it the perfect time to visit. Experience the picturesque Sicily you’d see on a postcard, the warm sun and blue skies, a welcome break from England’s April showers. Bridging the gap between summer and winter, students get the best of both worlds and may even get to see a magnificent Etna with a snowy crown.
Unlike some of the winter months, by Easter there are no restrictions to the activities students can experience, meaning that spring is a perfect time for students to get an action packed and geographically fascinating itinerary. The Easter holidays are still not considered the tourist high season and therefore you may find an increase in accommodation availability and better value for money.
Sicily is guaranteed to excite any geographer. Mount Etna is one of the most active volcanoes in the world and a fascinating case study for how locals take advantage of the benefits of living in the shadows of a volcano, whilst coping with the risk. Students will reach the summit of Etna, ascending up via cable-car and 4WD bus. They will see evidence of recent eruptions, craters and fumaroles, and can you imagine the views seen of stunning Sicily from a height of around 3,000m?
Your day exploring Mount Etna is a once in a lifetime trip alone, but in addition students will also visit the island of Vulcano, the Cyclops Riviera, Alcantara Gorge and much more! As well as visiting some of the most geographically superior destinations, students will get to soak up authentic Italian culture, learn about the island’s long history and of course, enjoy the cuisine!
5 days in Sicily:
- Take in the breath-taking beauty as you explore some of the wonders of the Cyclops Riviera with a tourist guide.
- Highlights include the impressive baroque cathedral and the stunning volcanic coastline which shows off hexagonal basalt columns and lava stacks.
- Walk around the crater rim of Mount Etna, Europe’s tallest volcano and the second most active volcano in the world, with a tourist and alpine guide.
- Climb through the mesmerising Lava Caves – ‘Tre Levelli’
- Learn more about how volcanoes behave at the interactive Museo dell’Etna.
- Admire the black columnar basalt lined Alcantara Gorge, an interesting geological and geographical case study.
- Add a burst of adventure by including river tubing or river trekking to this already exciting destination for approximately £56pp extra!
- Relish the awe-inspiring Greco-Roman ancient amphitheatre, Teatro Antico di Taormina.
- Witness the grandness of Etna as you appreciate her from a distance.
- Sail out to the Aeolian island of Vulcano on a fun boat ride.
- Hike to the Gran Cratere with an experienced trek guide, taking in the stunning scenery of vast peaks, craters, fumaroles and mud baths.
- Soak in one of the warm mud baths for a small additional fee, paid locally.
- Conclude this adventure by picking up your airport souvenirs before heading home.
Price and Inclusions
|Based on a group of 40 students and 4 teachers|
|5 days/4 nights full board hotel accommodation|
|Return flights from the UK to Catania with EasyJet|
|All transportation during your trip|
|Experienced local guides|
|Dedicated travel specialist for your booking and 24/7 emergency support during your trip|
|Visit to Mount Etna, Island of Vulcano, Alcantara Gorge and more!|
*This price may vary based on your chosen dates, group size and activities. Your travel specialist will be on hand to help plan the trip that meets your needs.
Why choose us for you Sicily trip?
For over 7 years, we have watched as the students we send to this stunning Italian island fall in love with its picturesque landscapes, rugged geography and authentic culture and cuisine. We love this island and the feedback we get from teachers and students suggests that their passion for Sicily as a geography destination could even rival ours!
Throughout our time travelling to Sicily, we have got to know the locals and found the best experiences the region has to offer, all in order to give students a spectacular trip they will never forget! Traveled with us before? As of 2019, we have been working with new and exciting partners, to develop our offering and give our customers even better value for money.
When you travel with us you will receive:
- Expert advice from our travel specialists who have visited the Sicily within the last year
- Tailor-made quote with a plethora of affordable optional activities to include.
- Total financial security thanks to our travel industry bonds and licences.
- Price promise guarantee on like-for-like quotes.
- 24/7 support from our team while you are on your trip.
- You’ll also join our Golden Circle Loyalty Scheme where you will start to earn vouchers to put towards your next trip.
- Our strategic partnership with the GA gives you and your students access to award winning resources to support your trip.
Connect your Sicily trip to the classroom
Check out our award- winning Italy resource collection; Living in the shadow of Italy’s volcanoes
The aim of this video is to consider the variety of volcanic landforms and the eruptive hazards in southern Italy. In visiting locations in the Bay of Naples, Sicily and the Aeolian Islands, this video interweaves narrative with interviews of local people affected by recent eruptions, expert guides and scientists tasked with monitoring Italy’s active volcanoes.
Find out more about Sicily:
- There is so much to see and do in Sicily that it was a challenge for our travel specialists to create a list of just ten favourites - but we tried!
Discover our other Easter 2020 suggestions:
- China and Norway are also excellent destinations for Easter 2020.
What is it like to travel to Sicily with 87 teenagers?
- Check out our blog “What is it like to travel to Sicily with 87 teenagers?” where our travel specialist shares her top tips and unique experiences from the trip!
Dine Like a Local
- Local food, drinks, traditions, and the environment in which the food was grown helps make a country unique and creates its identity. Nowhere is this more prominent than in Italy!