Coronavirus (COVID 19) Travel Updates
At Discover the World we ensure that you are looked after every step of the way, the safety and wellbeing of our clients is our top priority. The current circumstances surrounding the outbreak of Covid 19 are ever-changing and it has left many people unsure of how the illness may affect future travel plans.
Though this is understandably concerning, please be assured that at Discover the World we operate our trips in accordance with advice from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO). We are closely monitoring their guidance and advice from Public Health England and the World Health Organisation.
If you have any concerns about a destination you are thinking of booking or have already booked to travel with us please talk to our travel experts and we will offer advice and do all we can to help you to ensure minimal disruption to your travel. To give you additional peace of mind we have adapted our booking policy to be as flexible as possible.
Is my holiday going to take place as planned?
Should the UK FCO advise against travel or impose severe restrictions on movement within a country that we are operating to, we will be in touch with our customers to discuss and advise as to whether we will need to amend itineraries or cancel trips as needed. We will provide alternative holidays or change your departure date if possible.
What happens if I choose to postpone, change or cancel my trip?
- Postponing travel: please speak to your travel expert and they will advise whether it will be possible to postpone your trip to a later date. If this is possible we will not charge you an administration fee and we will work with our suppliers to minimise penalties wherever possible. If we can change your date you may be required to pay additional costs if the price of your new travel dates differs due to seasonal rate differences. Equally, if the cost of your postponed trip is less, we will refund you the difference.
- Changing the destination: If you would like to change to another holiday destination your travel expert will advise what is possible. We will not charge you an administration fee, however, you may be required to pay additional costs. Likewise, a refund may be due if the cost of your new holiday costs less than your original holiday.
Important note: You will need to update your travel insurer regarding any change to your travel dates and or destination.
- Cancellation: If you decide not to travel and choose to cancel your holiday then our usual cancellation terms will apply – please see our booking conditions for full details. In this instance, we advise you to contact your travel insurance company to see if you are able to recover any of these costs. If you are in doubt you can call us to discuss your specific arrangements.
How will I know if my travel plans are going to be affected?
We continue to monitor the World Health Organisation, Public Health England, Foreign and Commonwealth Office and ABTA guidance on a daily basis for all of the destinations that we visit, and we will contact our customers in departure date order if the government advice is against travel and as a consequence requires alterations to their holiday.
What will happen if Discover the World has to cancel or make a significant change to my holiday as a result of Coronavirus?
If we are forced to cancel your holiday or make a significant change to your travel arrangements we will if possible make alternative holiday arrangements for you or amend your departure date depending on your individual arrangements. If the only alternative is to cancel your holiday you will in the first instance need to contact your insurance company regarding a refund.
Will I be covered by my travel insurance if I decide to cancel?
This will depend on the terms of your policy. You should contact your travel insurance provider to check what cover is provided in your circumstances.
For more information
- The National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) TravelHealthPro website travelhealthpro.org.uk/countries provides specific country-by-country travel health advice
- The NHS website has useful information about how to take preventative measures against Coronavirus at www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19
- ABTA, the Travel Association, also has updated advice and FAQs for travellers at www.abta.com/coronavirus
Please be aware that some countries have entry restrictions in place for travellers who are either arriving directly from countries where there have been major coronavirus outbreaks or have visited them within the past 14 days. This is changing rapidly so before you travel please check the Foreign and Commonwealth Office travel advice to see this affects you.
Assistance when travelling with Discover the World
Clients travelling with us will have received details of our 24-hour emergency telephone number to be used in the event of problems arising whilst on holiday. The emergency number can be found on itineraries. You can also contact us using our general office telephone number 01737 214 250 during opening hours.
We're one of the UK’s leading independent specialist travel companies and have been creating outstanding holidays for over 35 years.
View and download our booking conditions.
A key benefit of booking with a UK-based tour operator, is that you are covered by very stringent British travel industry regulations and UK legislation throughout your holiday.