Xi’an is one of the oldest cities in China giving it a special place in the study of Chinese life. Students can walk along the departure point of Silk Road and imagine how traders began their journey to the west in 207BC. However, they do not need to use their imaginations to visualise the army of Qin Shi Huang. The Terracotta army has over 8,000 soldiers, 130 chariots and 520 horses, allowing students to literally stare in the face of history.
Xi’an is much more than just a window to China’s past. Two days in Xi’an combines exploring the culture and history of the city with adventure and fun. Students will become more than just a spectator as they take a bike ride along Xi’an’s old city walls. Plus, with an optional Dumpling Banquet, a visit to the exciting night market and a host of other activities, Xi’an is a must visit destination in your overall trip to China!
This two day itinerary can be combined with trips to any of our other Chinese destinations; Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Yangtze and Chengdu, to form trips from 7-11+ days.
Our China combination recommendation:
Departure time: Year round | Currency: Renminbi
- Weather processes & hazards
- Climate change
- Water & river processes, landforms & management
- Geological processes & landforms
- Urban change & growth
- Development & inequality
- Economic change
- Global systems & global governance
- Food resources
- Water resources
- Energy resources
- City wall of Xi’an
- Giant Wild Goose Pagoda
- Drum Tower of Xi’an
- Bell Tower of Xi’an
- Xian Terracotta Warriors’ Museum
- Muslim Quarter of Xi’an
Day 1 – Arrive Xi’an – Ancient City Walls – Giant Wild Goose Pagoda – Bell & Drum Towers
- Take a bike ride along Xi’an’s old city walls
- Unearth the history of the Giant Wild Goose Pagoda and how the many dynasties of China have added their own stamps to its design
- Hear the rumble of the drum in the Drum Tower, which used to be sounded along with the bells in the Bell Tower to tell time in Xi’an.
Day 2 – Terracotta Army – Great Mosque and Muslim Quarter – Huimin Street Market
- Visit the Terracotta army, one of the most significant archaeological excavations of the 20th century.
- Explore the Muslim Quarter of Xi’an, founded by Silk Road traders, and now home to some 20,000 Chinese Muslims
- Discover the Humin Street area, where you will find Islamic architecture and the night market featuring a colourful array of street food and souvenir stalls.
- In the evening, include an optional dumpling banquet and Tang Dynasty show.
This Xi’an itinerary can be combined with any of our other China destinations to make your perfect Chinese adventure: