What to wear at the Ice Hotel
Outside temperatures in Swedish Lapland where the original Icehotel is located can drop to -40° in winter, so dressing for the conditions is essential. Layering is the most efficient way to do this.
On arrival at the Icehotel you’ll receive a one-piece thermal suit to wear over your own clothes whenever stepping outside and for participating in excursions. Icehotel also provides guests with mittens, balaclava and snow boots. These are very warm and sturdy and we recommend you opt for a size larger boot than normal so you have plenty of room for extra pairs of socks.
What you wear underneath the provided snowsuit will vary from person to person and the weather during your visit. Temperatures can range from around -10 to -40°, which is why using layers is important as they trap the air between, which helps to keep you warm and insulated against the cold.
We recommend bringing the following with you
- Thermal base layers (long sleeve tops, leggings and socks) made of wool, silk or polyester.
- Fleece jumpers make the best mid-layers and you may find you prefer to wear more than one so bringing a thick and thin fleece is a good idea.
- Loose-fitting walking trousers or joggers are good mid-layers for your lower body. It’s best to avoid denin.
- A winter jacket – down or ski jackets are ideal and can be worn under the snowsuit. For this reason, longer outer jackets aren’t always suitable.
- Ski or over trousers also to be worn under the snowsuit
- Scarf or neck warmer
- Woollen or fleece hat
- Walking shoes/boots are useful for travelling and when you first arrive at the Icehotel, though you’ll likely wear the boots provided for most of your stay.
- Gloves and glove liners – pair these with the mittens provided
You don’t need variety in your outfits at the Icehotel, but bring good winter clothes that can be combined so you can adapt as you need.
You’ll also discover that the Swedes like to keep interiors warm and cosy which means you’ll want to remove outer and perhaps mid-layers as soon as you’re inside the heated areas.
All our Icehotel clients will receive exclusive use of our iDiscover App which also contains Nordic Travel Tips which includes a comprehensive packing list and other useful recommendations.