This flexible trip based in Ilulissat offers the perfect Greenland introduction - visiting the UNESCO World Heritage site of Disko Bay and one of the world's most active glaciers! Head out from Ilulissat each day for some incredible experiences unique to this wilderness island. You'll return home with memories of icebergs, Inuit and huskies, plus a lot more besides!
- Disko Bay with its icebergs of all shapes and sizes rising majestically from a sea of deep dark blue
- idyllic Sermermiut valley, home to native Greenlanders for thousands of years
- option to take a midnight sun cruise on the bay - sailing amongst the icebergs is amazing
- visit a local settlement, see the ways of Greenlandic hunters and experience the hospitality of the locals
- Accommodation in rooms with private facilities
- All breakfasts,1 dinner
- Excursions as per itinerary
- Return flights from Iceland to Greenland
The modern town of Ilulissat sits approximately 200km above the Arctic Circle, mid way along the west coast at the mouth of a 56km long ice fjord, designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Ilulissat's population numbers around 4,500 people and at least 4,000 sled dogs, which underlines the importance of the sledge as a means of transport, even in a large modern town. The harbour is full of fishing boats and trawlers as naturally, fishing remains hugely important to the community.
Explore Disko Bay
Why not make the most of your trip to west Greenland and extend your stay in the smaller towns and settlements in the Disko Bay surroundings. Located just South of Ilulissat, Ilimanaq is a remote and authentic Greenlandic destination with just over 53 inhabitants. The settlement boasts 15 brand new modern cabins which have fantastic views of the ocean and the icebergs drifting by – if you are lucky you may even spot a whale from the comfort of your room!
Combine Ilulissat with Qasigiannguit, a small hiking town located in the eastern corner of Disko Bay. Qasigiannguit is Greenland’s second oldest town, founded in 1734. North of Ilulissat is the settlement of Qqaatsut/Rodebay and the Eqip glacier, two more places you have the option of exploring during this trip.
Prices & Dates *
Airfares start from around £100 per person and are quoted separately to the holiday price. When enquiring, our Travel Specialists will provide the best fare possible from your preferred airline / airport.
From prices per person based on 2 sharing a room with private bathroom
|Departure||Duration||Option||Twin Price||Single Price|
|3rd Jun - 28 Aug 2019||4 nights||Option A - 2 nights in Reykjavik, 2 nights in Ilulissat (Hotel Arctic)||£2,169||£2,479|
|31st May - 31st Aug 2019||5 nights||Option B - 2 nights in Reykjavik, 3 nights in Ilulissat (Hotel Arctic)||£2,319||£2,704|
|3rd Jun- 28th Aug 2019||6 nights||Option C - 2 nights in Reykjavik, 4 nights in Ilulissat (Hotel Arctic)||£2,469||£2,929|
|3rd Jun - 28th Aug 2019||6 nights||Option D - 2 nights in Reykjavik, 2 nights in Ilulissat (Hotel Arctic) and 2 nights at Ilimanaq Lodge||£3,144||£3,843|
Option A departs every Monday & Wednesday. Option B departs every Friday. Options C & D depart every Monday.
- All rooms with private facilities:
- 2 nights in Reykjavik on breakfast basis, 2, 3 or 4 nights at Hotel Arctic on breakfast basis
- Welcome and farewell dinner at Hotel Arctic (2-course set menu)
- Scheduled return flights between Reykjavik City Airport and Ilulissat
- Return transfers from Keflavik Airport to Reykjavik
- Return transfers from Ilulissat Airport to accommodation
- Airport taxes
- Full financial protection »
What's Not Included
- International flights to and from Iceland
- Transfers between accommodation in Reykjavik and Reykjavik City Airport
- Insurance policy upgrades
- Personal expenses
- Travel insurance
Itinerary & Accommodation
Itinerary & Accommodation
After transferring to your accommodation in Reykjavik explore the capital and enjoy dinner at one of the many fabulous restaurants that the capital has to offer.
Today take a short taxi ride (payable locally) to Reykjavik City Airport, for your flight to Ilulissat. Transfer to Hotel Arctic and enjoy a short city tour before your welcome dinner.
Days at leisure for optional excursions to discover more about daily life in the Arctic. Choose from gentle walks to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Ilulissat Icefjord, boat trips amongs the iceberg and even a home visit sharing the gossip with the locals over a cup of coffee. Or you may just wish to sit on the hotel balcony and watch the gigantic icebergs float by!
Today transfer to airport for return flight to Reykjavik. Take a short taxi ride (payable locally) to Reykjavik accommodation.
Transfer to Keflavik airport in time for your flight home.
Above itinerary is based on option C
Find a holiday idea or suggested itinerary that inspires you, then send an enquiry or call us
Your dedicated travel specialist will create a quote based on your preferences
Together we’ll refine your itinerary until you’re happy and ready to book
From the moment you book until you return home we’re here for you no matter what